Waste to Ore Resource (WOR) Research Program: Project 1: Block Model Reconstruction.
- Jigsaw Technologies, January 2008 – July 2009, PI 100% responsibility.
- Involved the development of a dump reconstruction algorithm that immediately creates at block-model. Very useful in a mine where the mineral value varies widely based on price, technology, processing availability, etc... Uses Jigsaw technologies and Mintec Minesight, applied to a real copper mine in Arizona. Patent awarded.
Data → Action Research Program (DARP)
- Phelps Dodge Corporation (later changed to Freeport-McMoRan), August 2006 – 2010, PI, 100% responsibility.
- Used a corporate data warehouse to develop several business intelligence solutions
- Developed a haulage tire management tool that integrated machine history with wire wear history. Data mining application could find problem operators, locations (routes), etc...
- Developed a blast optimization data model that linked all blast input information (drilling, explosives, drilling accuracy) with performance information (digability, fragmentation, etc...) in 3D space by drillhole
- Developed an activity based costing (ABC) system and applied it to:
- Alternative method for developing block model mining cost, resulted in finding an NPV of $4.9M of additional minable reserves for a real mine.
- An Entreprise Asset Management tool that uses data mining to determine cost drivers for repair, used to predict equipment costs by month considering the Life-of-Mine plan.
- Publications detailing results available upon request.
- Research product are in pre-commercialization phase
Modernizing Cave Planning & Management Systems, Project 1: Block Cave Engineering Data Infrastructure
- Freeport-McMoRan, Resolution Copper Mining Company*, Kennecott Utah Copper Company*, August 2006 – December 2007, PI, 100% responsibility.
- Using a data warehouse, developed:
- OLAP cubes for easy analysis
- Data mining tool to predict convergence
- Drawpoint reliability (blocking) using explosives as an indicator, data mining results included prediction based on rock type and Height of Draw (HOD)
Infrastructure for Integrated Data Environments and Analysis (IIDEA) for Mining and Processing Systems.
- July 2005 – June 2009, Co-PI, 81% Responsibility. Department of Energy, Office of Industrial Technologies, Industries of the Future, Mining Grand Challenge, Phelps Dodge Corporation, Mintec Incorporated, Dimension Technologies Global, University of Pennsylvania, Virginia Technical Institute. Note: the DOE OIT has been eliminated by the federal government. The first year funding, 2005-2006 and project goals were met
Mine Safety ‘Data Mining’ Infrastructure
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Jan 2005 – Jan 2006, PI 100% responsibility.
- Developed OLAP cubes for easy analysis.
- Applied data mining to determine the most influential factors on various types of accidents/injuries.